Thursday, March 12, 2015

Where I Am From Poem

I am from the hills of West Virginia, from summer, winter, fall, and spring. From the flow of the river  across the way, dirt on my hands from always being outdoors. From my parents hearts and souls and my sister's support. I am from the house over looking the Tygart River, the sounds of trains roaring through the trees, and the sound of boats speeding on the river. From the smell of home cooked Italian food coming from Muriale's. I am from gold medalist winner Mary Lou Retton's hometown, where Nick Saban grew up. From "home of the original pepperoni rolls" or as we know it, Country Club Bakery. I am from Fairmont.

I am from grandma's homemade cookies and pepperoni rolls, from her wisdom and guidance, from her love and support and laughter. Holidays at grandmas house are what I live for, everyone fits perfectly. I am from my Aunt spreading God's word, from my Uncles' humor and wisdom, and from my mom's sensitivity. From the memories made in grandma's one bathroom house where we all gather that I will never forget.

I am from "sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you." From my father's tough love and support. His love for sports and hard headedness. I am from my mother's sensitivity and emotions, from her big heart. From "treat others how you want to be treated." I am from the most amazing parents and family in the world. From their young love that people thought would never work to their everlasting love that will never end. From screaming and fighting with my sister to hugging and 'I love yous.' From always bickering but always making up and being stronger.

I am from weekend road trips growing up. From softball tournaments and soccer championships far away. From our yearly beach trip that we can't live without. From traditions and values that will never be replaced. From working in our little yard on the weekends just for an excuse to be outside. Summers that we wish would last forever on the little Tygart River, one of the only rivers that flow North. From laying on the boat for hours thanking God for the beautiful life we have. 

I am from West Virginia, not Northern Virginia or part of Virginia, from our own state that bleeds blue and gold. From mountaineer fans that never give up no matter how bad our sports teams are doing. From that old East-West rivalry that will never die down. From a place so homely that you will never want to leave. Home is where my heart is, where it will always be. I am from the most beautiful place on Earth.

4 comments:

  1. Crane2201April 1, 2015 at 1:15 PM

    One thing I learned about you is you're from Fairmont.

    You are similiar to me because you wrote "I am from the most amazing parents and family in the world. From screaming and fighting with my sister to hugging and 'I love yous.' From always bickering but always making up and being stronger." I felt like this described me perfectly.

    One interesting historical aspect of your poem is when you described the people who came from your hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I learned about you is that you are from Fairmont which has amazing food I must add! I love the pepperoni rolls and Muriales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One think I learned about you is that you used to play softball and soccer.

    You are similar to me in that we are both from Fairmont.

    One interesting historical aspect of your poem is when you discuss Fairmont as the hometown of Mary Lou Retton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing that I learned about you is that you spend a lot of your time on the Tygart Lake. We both love getting dirt on our hands, and being outdoors. The historical aspect of your poem that was very interesting to me was that you live where Nick Saban grew up.

    ReplyDelete